The Savinelli story begins in 1876 when Achille Savinelli Sr. opens in the center of Milan one of the first shops in the world that exclusively sells articles for smokers, in Via Orefici at no. 2 on the corner with Piazza Duomo, the heart of Milan. This small shop, which still exists today, quickly became a meeting place where passionate smokers could exchange ideas and experiences. It was there that Savinelli Sr. began to design pipes which were then made by craftsmen from Varese. At that time a radical change took place in the world of pipes: briar pipes began to establish themselves, an improvement over traditional foam and clay pipes. Simultaneously with the opening of the Milan store, Achille's brothers moved to Genoa to also open a shop for smokers' articles in the Mazzini Gallery. In 1881 Achille Savinelli Sr. exhibited his articles at the Italian Industrial Exhibition, the forerunner of the Milan Fair, demonstrating with this initiative an entrepreneurial vocation that has been handed down to subsequent generations. From January 1890, Achille's son, Carlo Savinelli, took charge and ran the shop for more than 50 years. He developed excellent relationships with customers, thanks also to his innate skills as a psychologist, and was always able to recommend the right product, suited to the needs of each smoker.